Sunday, January 16, 2011

I asked God who I'm supposed to be...

I have a lot on my mind today. [As I do everyday...] However, the foremost question I have on my mind came from listening to this song [click me!] I've asked the question, "Who am I supposed to be?" a million and one times. Probably more. It feels like every time the answer changes; and yet, it's almost always exactly the same. 

Once upon a time, I was a little girl. I used to dream of who I would become and the things I would do with my life. I used to dream of being a doctor, of helping people, of being a wife, a mother, a best friend, an accomplished woman living in some big city wearing fancy clothes, the luckiest girl in the world because a real true Prince Charming came and whisked me away to be a Princess of a foreign country, a scientist who discovered a cure-all for every disease ever, an explorer of an exotic land, a major athlete, an actress and I'm fairly certain at one point I wished I could be a unicorn. A precious few of those goals were attainable [like being a unicorn!] and even fewer are ones I still have in my life.  But just because it's what I want, doesn't necessarily mean it is what I should be. 

Life is full of choices and that is what defines its meaning. I have the choice to be a doctor or a wildlife biologist, I have the choice to skip church on Sunday or to go, I have the choice to eat a piece of toast or a banana. From big to little, we make choices every day. I don't know that I have ever had an immediate answer when faced with a question [even the toast or banana one! That's a hard choice!] but I do know that I won't always make the right choice the first time around. I make mistakes, I stumble, I fall, I cry, and I get frustrated beyond belief with how human I am. [The unicorn dream is looking really great about now] Every day I have to apologize for hurting someone, for wronging someone, for falling flat on my face. I also have the privilege of every single day having the opportunity to do so. I have the opportunity to learn something new, to ask forgiveness and forgive others, to smile, laugh, dream. There is, however, one thing I can not apologize for. And that is being human. I understand that each of us are human and we all make mistakes. I have learned [and sometimes have to re-learn] to forgive others. I hope and pray that those who I have hurt or may think I have wronged them will be able to forgive me. 

In a world that is full of strife and struggle, there is a hope for a better day. It's up to us to make that day better. 

I asked God who I'm supposed to be....as far as I can tell, he wants me to be human and learn from my mistakes, forgive, love, serve, and be someone that others look up to.

In a world where pollution and destruction reign, it's a true testimony that our own souls can be this beautiful despite our follies and mistakes when you see how wonderfully hard this earth is trying to be this gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment