Monday, January 17, 2011

Walk of Life.

back·ground
[bak-ground]
–noun
1. the ground or parts, as of a scene, situated in the rear (opposed to foreground).

2. one's origin, education, experience, etc., in relation to one's present character, status, etc.

3. the social, historical, and other antecedents or causes of an event or condition: the background of the war.

4. the complex of physical, cultural, and psychological factors that serves as the environment of an event or experience;the set of conditions against which an occurrence is perceived.

I realized something today that I probably should have realized a long time ago. Maybe I already knew it but it never really occurred to me. 
When you are going through pictures do you ever notice some random person in the background? It happens all the time. Completely commonplace. However, I don't think I have ever thought of myself as being in the background of other people's photos. 
It has never occurred to me that there are probably hundreds of photos that I am in floating around the internet and for that one small moment, I was a part of a stranger's life. 
It happens every single day, but did you ever realize that you are in the background of someone else's life? I included [most of] the definition[s] for the word background above. 
Why? Mostly because I'm a word nerd and partly because at one point it had some relevancy. Perhaps you can figure out how my mind works and explain why it's there.
I guess what I'm getting at is that sometimes we forget there are other people around us, other people are making memories, they're laughing, crying, talking, thinking. Just like I am. I may be in the foreground [brought it back to the definition. Score one for Chelsea] of my own life but to others I am just another back up dancer or passenger in their ride of life. 
Weird, right?
And here's a cool picture that has basically nothing to do with what I was talking about.
Except maybe to think of how small we are when compared to the rest of the earth and how it's an amazingly wonderful blessing to have our own story and be able to be in the background of so many other people's.

1 comment:

  1. So, I wrote in my JOURNAL about that. Weird. A couple of weeks ago.

    I definitely wonder why there are small seconds where my path crosses with someone else's little circle. Makes me wonder if everyone, EVERYONE is connected.

    ReplyDelete