Friday, November 19, 2010

a pocketful of memories & a dedication to kind strangers.

Yesterday, I had the privilege of bowling with three of the most beautiful women on BYU campus! (And they are single! I don't know how but I would jump on it boys!)

Laura, Kelsey, Hillary, and me! Hil's 21st!
Anyway, we were talking and Laura insisted that I write down some of my memories that I had shared with them. So, I did. And now I'm putting them on here. Enjoy...

October 29, 2010: Halloween weekend! I decided to venture down to see my favorite brothers in Ephraim, UT. I packed up my bags and left after my last class--which just so happens to be rush hour. Go figure. Anyway, while stopped at a stoplight, I looked in my side mirror only to see a face staring directly at me. And then they waved. I didn't know what else to do and figured that something bad might happen if I offended them and didn't wave back so I waved as well. The light turned green and I started forward headed for the on ramp. My windows were down and I was enjoying the perfect weather. Moments later, I heard someone yelling. I turned and there, right next to me was this same guy. He waved, smiled, and yelled, "You are BEAUTIFUL!" before driving off never to be seen again. It made my weekend and when I have a bad day I love to think about it. Thank you, random stranger. 

November 17, 2010: This was just a 2 days ago. I had been sitting with the beautiful Laura while she ate lunch when 2 girls came by to tell us that we should donate blood because there wasn't a line. I hadn't donated in a while so I promptly took them up on their offer. It took less than 10 minutes to get back behind their little partitioner to answer the questions. That should have been quick and easy but the system crashed and I had to answer the questions 3 times. Fortunately, I had a really nice guy, Benji, to help me out! We were talking about his wife of 3 years (high school sweet hearts! So cute, right?) and how they "have a Max". Suddenly, in the middle of the story about Max, he interrupts himself and says, "Can I just say that you are a great catch? You will be an awesome wife and someone will be really lucky to have you." Why, thank you, Benji! And then he continued on as if nothing had happened. Strangers can be so kind.

And last, but not least!, is one that happened at the beginning of the summer. 

I wish I knew the exact date but I don't feel like going back that far on my facebook to find it. 

I was back in L-town and on my way out of Safeway. [For those from L-town, the adorable old man in the story is Doc.]  He was standing in front of me in line, hitting on the cashier (of course) asking her to marry him. She kindly declined and he shuffled towards the exit. I only had one or two items so we reached the door about the same time. He turned to me as we approached it and and said, "That's what happens when you get old and ugly... Will you promise me something? Stay young and beautiful just the way you are, right now. Will you promise me that?" Yes, Doc. I will stay young, beautiful and 20 for the rest of my life, just for you. 

It's moments like these that I remember when I pass people on my way to classes, at the store, or on the sidewalk. I hope that I can be this kind to someone, that they will cherish something I have said to them for forever, and that it is something that has helped them feel good about themselves. Have you made someone's day lately?


No comments:

Post a Comment